Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Active Learning

Hey there Bloggers,

So I have been going over the information presented in this topic and I thought it was time I shared my thoughts on the matter.

Active learning seems like a really interesting idea that I would like to utilise in the classroom. The 'real world' aspect is something I value as I remember there being nothing more irritating in school than leafing through a textbook and wondering to myself, 'When am I ever going to use this?'

I do however believe it will take a very solid understanding of one's class to really get that connection. To have an understanding of what will actually be meaningful to the students in your class and then capitalizing on that.

I have always felt that the idea of making learning meaningful in a 'real world' context was important and it was nice to see that be affirmed by reading the text.

Now while viewing Active Learning I also took part in some testing to give myself a greater understanding about how I learn and I thought I would sure this information with my fellow Bloggers.

Personality:

My type is ESFJ:

Extroverted Sensing Feeling Judging
33% 5o% 25% 22%

I am:
  • moderately expressed extrovert
  • moderately expressed sensing personality
  • moderately expressed feeling personality
  • slightly expressed judging personality
I was not overly surprised by the outcomes of this test. Most people that know me in real life would agree I can be a bit of an extrovert (some may even call that an understatement) and I value sensing and feelings quite higly as well.

Learning Style:

Well the learning style showed me a few things.
  • I have a moderate preference for being Active over being Reflective
  • I have a very strong preference for Sensing over learning Intuitively
  • I am fairly well balanced between Visual and Verbal learning with a slight lean towards Visual.
  • I have a moderate prefernce for Sequential learning over Global learning.
Again I am not surprised by these results and I am happy to see that my view that 'Real Life' connections being important for learning is reinforced by my personal preference towards Sensing learning. I know that as a teacher I will strive to make sure my students feel a connection with their learning to the real world and as a student I will endeavour to make sure I can see the connections to my learning to make it feel worthwhile.

Well those are my thoughts and findings for now,

Thank you for reading,

Until next time,

Alex


No comments:

Post a Comment